There is nothing like smoked pulled pork. Especially when it is done right. A good smoked pulled pork takes quite a bit of time, love and care to come out right. It also takes a quality smoker. For this recipe we are using the a Yoder Smoker (The YS640). These guys are the masters at making quality, top grade smokers for competition smokers and consumers who want nothing but the best.
Check out our video for the complete step by step rundown of how to make the ultimate smoked pulled pork! Here is the recipe to follow along with. Happy smoking!
Smoked Pork Butt Recipe
- Pork butt roast
- Spice rub of your choice
- Olive oil
- Get your pork trimmed. Take the excess fat off the meat side of the pork. Back fat will be our friend and help flavor the meat, but excess fat on side and some of the connective fat tissue in the “crack” area of the pork but can be cut off. (See video)
- You can use any spice rub you want! I like to make my own. Its a mixture of brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, fennel and coriander.
- Wrap your meat in plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge over night. This will help the spices get into the meat and allow the meat to begin to slowly break down.
- The next day, fire up your smoker to 225F. Once its heated, place the meat on an oiled rack (olive oil works great). Then, let it smoke and cook at a constant 225 for 9 to 10 hours until the internal pork temp reaches at 145F to 160F.
- Spray/Mist with apple juice every 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove from smoker and let the meat rest 45 mins before cutting and pulling.